Did you know that Istanbul has a new attraction? In May 2021, the Çamlica Tower telecommunications tower, short for Küçük Çamlıca TV Radio Tower, was opened to the public and has become the tallest observation tower in Istanbul and the newest tourist attraction in the city.
The construction, promoted by the Turkish Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure, aimed to clean up the landscape, replacing the dozen antennas that had previously been spread over the hill with a single tower. Now, the skyline on the Asian side sports a great futuristic-looking tower of 369 meters high, which has become the tallest tower in Istanbul and Turkey.
Facts about Çamlica Tower
- ¿Where is it located? Çamlica Tower is located on Çamlica Hill, at 218 meters above sea level, in the Üsküdar district in the Asian part of Istanbul.
- When was Çamlica Tower built? Çamlica Tower was built between 2015 and 2019. Construction began in 2015, was completed in 2019, and opened to the public in 2021.
- What is the height of Çamlica Tower? Çamlica Tower is 369 metres high, making it the tallest tower in Istanbul and Turkey. If it were in the European side, it would also be the tallest tower in Europe.
- Is it possible to go up? Yes, you can go up the tower. It has two observation decks with 360 views on floors 33rd and 34th and a cafeteria and restaurant on floors 39th and 40th.
- Who is the architect? Melike Altınışık Architects.
- How many floors does it have? It has 49 floors.
- Panoramic elevator.
- Viewpoint 1: 33rd floor.
- Viewpoint 2: 34th floor.
- Cafeteria: 39th floor.
- Restaurant: 40th floor.
- Exhibition Hall.
- From its observation deck you can see the Çamlica Mosque, the largest mosque in Istanbul.
- At night, the exterior of the tower is lit up with LEDs displaying different mosaics, including the country’s flag.
- Some say that the design of the tower is inspired by the tulip flower, a historical symbol of the city.
Where is Çamlica Tower located?
Çamlica Tower is located in the Üsküdar district, on the Asian side of Istanbul. Built on the Çamlica Hill, the highest hill in the city.
How to get there?
From the European side
From Sultanahmet (Eminönü) area: the easiest way to get to Çamlica Tower is by getting a ferry to Üsküdar or Kadiköy and once you’re there, take a taxi to the tower. The taxi ride takes about 20 minutes and it should not cost more than 80LT.
From Galata Tower (Beyoğlu / Karaköy) area: the easiest way to get to Çamlica Tower is by getting a ferry to Üsküdar or Kadiköy and once you’re there, take a taxi to the tower. The taxi ride takes about 20 minutes and it should not cost more than 80LT.
From the Asian side
From Kadiköy / Moda: take a taxi to the tower.
From Üsküdar: take a taxi to the tower.
The highest lookout in Istanbul
Without any doubt, the best thing about climbing the Çamlica Tower is the impressive panoramic views that you get of the Turkish mega city. You can see Europe and the Bosphorus, the Sea of Marmara and the Prince Islands, the new financial district, the Çamlica Mosque (the largest mosque in Istanbul), the Çamlica Hill and its houses with swimming pools…
If you want to enjoy a complete experience and see the city both during the day and night time, the best time to visit the tower is right before the sunset, to watch the sun go down and see how the city gradually lights up.
360 KULE Cafeteria & Restaurant
On the 39th and 40th floor of the Çamlica Tower you will find the Cafeteria and the 360 KULE Restaurant. Prior reservation must be made through its website, both for the Cafeteria and for the Restaurant. Online reservation costs 80 LT. If you do not make a reservation in advance, you can also ask at the front desk of the tower if there is availability, and they will make a reservation for you right there.
¿How do I book a table?
To book a table, either in the cafeteria (39th floor), or in the Restaurant (40th floor), I recommend you to do it online beforehand, to make sure you get a good table with views of the Bosphorus and to be able to enjoy the sunset. The reservation can also be made at the reception of the tower, but you risk that the good tables are already booked.
On the left side of the website, you will have to choose the day of your visit, select a time slot for your visit (I recommend between 7:30pm and 10:00pm to catch the sunset), the number of people you will be (there are tables of 2, 4, 10, people capacity) and if you want to book a table in the cafeteria floor or restaurant floor. There is not much difference between the cafeteria and the restaurant, they have the same menu and the same views in both floors.
On the right side of the website there is a map of the tables distribution. If you hover over the dots, you can see the tables capacity and where they have views to: towards the Bosphorus, towards Adalar (which is the Princes’ Islands) or towards the east side of the city. The tables with views of the Bosphorus are the ones on the right of the sketch.
Opening hours and ticket prices Çamlica Tower
- Opening hours:
- daily from 10:00am to 10:00pm.
- Ticket price for nationals:
- general admission: 80 LT.
- reduced ticket: 40 LT.
- fast track ticket: 150 LT.
- Ticket price for foreigners:
- general admission: 200 LT (+ 60LT tasas vía web).
- fast track: 300 LT.
- Web reservation fee for cafeteria or restaurant:
- 80 LT.
- What does the Çamlica Tower ticket include? The ticket price includes access to Çamlica Tower both viewpoints (floors 33th and 34th). If you want to go to the Cafeteria or the Restaurant, you must make a prior reservation through their website. A 80LT fee is paid for the reservation.